Monday, October 11, 2010

blur

      I find extremely hard to talk about my current favorite song because there isn’t just one. Plus, to talk about how my favorite song make me feel and why it is special to me doesn’t make it any easier. But I’ll try anyway.
     Well, even though I like to look for new songs, I’m constantly turning back to old classics, I mean there is no one like Morrissey (for example) to express how I feel. 
       And my favorite song, right now, is “she’s so high” from the British band “blur”. It’s been so many years since I hear it for the first time that I don’t remember when was it. But the song didn’t use to be one of my favorite. Its distorted sound and the repetitive lyrics (that when I was a little girl didn’t understand) made it a good song, but not great. But I’m a music lover and my theory about music is that what I DON'T like is 1) what  I don’t know; 2) what I don’t understand and 3) reggaeton.
     A while ago I listened this song again and I pay it real attention to the lyrics, and to my surprise I found myself loving it and, at the same time, I felt a bit uncomfortable about the lyrics, like if they were rubbing those lyrics in my face, like if Damon Albarn (the vocalist) were making fun of me, by guessing what's was going through my mind. i'm sure they just got wrong the pronoun. Now I understand that its distorted sound, the repetitive lyrics, etc. are part of the meaning of the song, it’s what completes the whole idea, and the obsessive tempo goes really well with the lyrics.
     Some people find Blur a bit shallow, but I think that it's because they haven’t pay real attention to their songs; I mean they can be sarcastic and sometimes brutally direct (like in this song). It’s a really good band; Damon Albarn is a great musician and Graham Coxon (the lead guitarist) one of the most gifted guitarist. Even if someone doesn’t like blur they got to admit that their music was innovator and impeccable.
    They are not my favorite band, though. But once in a while I listen some of their song in the radio and then I spend the rest of the day with that song stuck in my head.

1 comment:

  1. Berni!

    I like Blur too, I like the classic "Cofee and TV" xd..
    regards!

    pd: you are crazy, I had to remove one of your posts,,, jaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete