Friday, November 5, 2010

Burning light

Today I would like to talk about a film called “I hire a contract killer” of the Finland director Aki Kaurismäki. This film is set in England and tells the story of a French man that after spending fifteen years working as an accountant he get sack because the company needs to save money and, as he is French, the company decide to dismiss him. Because he had spend his youth working in a that horrible place, and he didn’t had anything else in life, he decide to commit suicide, but he fail at every attempt he made, or he get cold feet and resign from it at the last minute. So, because of that he decided to hire a contract killer.  And because of that, he doesn’t have the tinniest idea of who the hell is the killer or when he will be murder.
The film is from 1989 and is a little low budget so is not very good, is not that I think that a film needs to have a lot of money invested for to be good, is just that this film is a bit lost. but it has a plus (actually two great things) one the protagonist is the French actor Jean Pierre Leaud, and I like him a lot, he was the protagonist of the five films about Antoine Doinel of Truffaut. And two in one scene of the film the protagonist is running away from the guy he think it might be the killer and hide inside a bar and in the bar there is a singer on stage and that singer is no one else but JOE STRUMMER himself. If the film had turned out to be bad I would have mind just because of that scene, I love when things like that happen in a film.
The film in general is pretty weird, I don’t know what genre is it, but I quite like it. The actors play their parts weirdly, a bit like over acting or under-acting… I don’t know, but is weird. I think that is because is definitely a comedy but everyone acts as if it were the most tragic drama of the world, everyone is really serious, even the film is filmed in a dramatic way. At times I think the film get a little boring, but maybe is because when I watched I expected a lot more action, because of the exiting plot, but nothing like that happen in the film. And after all I think that the film is like life itself, everyone lives the most exiting drama on their own heads, but everything is a lot more simple that that, even if you hire a contract killer.
However,  this isn’t a great film but I couldn’t think in any other film to write about right now, maybe is because I was listening to The Clash this morning, I don’t know.
PS. Now that I’m finishing I come to realize that this post is really lame. But what the hell my job is done! is not like if my other post were good.

2 comments:

  1. berny i thought you're gonna write about a career. xD and i imagined you as an anthropologist :P

    Take care ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nardy!
    You didn't say if he is actually murdered at the end of the movie...
    Well, I think maybe that wasn't the point of the movie and your post, so Nevermind...
    And take care!

    ReplyDelete