Friday, August 27, 2010

I read the news today... oh boy

     Determinate which event has been the most important during this year, it’s really hard task to undertake. I mean even if someone would ask my opinion about it I wouldn't know what to say... and I don't even fell like talking or even thinking about it. But, since I must I would like to talk about the media in general and take hindsight of the news that the media sells.
     I don't watch the nine o'clock news, like most people, I think that are too distressing, I don't understand how people can go to bed and have a good night sleep after something like that, I don’t even see the point in watching them, I mean, we can't do anything about the people that were rob (or something like that), only feel sorry for them. But however, not for that fact I'm an uninformed person, I get my "sight of the world" through internet. I really do believe that nowadays this is the best way of doing it. The television lacks from all the ethics that takes to inform the society. It really does a horrible job. As I said above, they sell news, they are very careful with what they show to us, as if it where a product, they edit every aspect of the news and create, alters and hide what it's not good enough for "The show".
     So, even though everyone can made up a rumor, or something like that, on the internet, I think that if I need to get some information I rather to make the effort of using my discretion or my criteria to discriminate what worth to read or not, than to buy any product that the "official" media wants to sell me. Sometimes, if something like the educational politics it’s going wrong, I rather look up in Google the fundaments of those politics and make my own analysis of it (well, not quite so, but pretty much like that).
     Another media that I tend to look for in times of "informative re-location" it's the radio; I have the theory that, as it is a lower media since the invention of the TV and the internet, it's a less regulated media. Beside the fact that, because we can not see the faces of the people speaking on the radio, they feel a lot more freedom when they have to give an opinion, I've heard a lot of TV journalist that on radio are more honest and said things as they are, when such thing doesn't happen on TV.
     Well, turning back to the main theme. I don't know if the most important news so far has been the earthquake, the Chilean participation on the world cup, the thermoelectric or even the miner’s disaster (I don't really care either). But what I do know is that the most horrible and torrid event, so far, has been the new government, and I didn't need the media to know that. Why? well, because I think that the fact that right now the people are getting it all wrong in terms of information it's because our "beloved president" it's controlling the information, if not, how come the media is not covering the Mapuche's hunger strike? that kind of strike only works when the citizen make pression on the goverment to stop it by answering to the request of the people in the strike, and for that to happen people must be informed.
     As a final opinion, I think that the media covers accurately the news that they considered important, but that are not necessarily the "most important", and do it when they want. Because actually, the first time I heard of the miners situation was through twitter and not from the media. They didn't do it until the thing was too big to hide it.
     I know the media it's powerful and run a lot of money, but I think that our criteria it's a lot more powerful and we must use it.

So, if someone reads this... Don't believe the adds, don't believe the medias.... and don't even believe me (Well maybe a little, use your criteria).

2 comments:

  1. Hi dear, I completetly agree with you, and as you said at the final part, I don't believe you at all lol... but I think that the most shocking piece of news this year is the news itself, I don't really like TV, I don't watch it regularly, but every time I watched it this year, I turn it off a quite minutes after because there's nothing there that lookes like truly facts. Many sad things and a lot of disasters, that's like a horror movie more than the nine o'clock news, but if this is the reality, the media has created a depressed society... that's why I don't watch TV anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bernardita! I agree in many ways with you.

    ReplyDelete